Tuesday, October 28, 2014

TWISTS AND TURNS - Episode 2




Episode 2

Iye watched Bukky with interest as she scooped the ice cream as if her life depended on it. She dropped the novel in her hand, picked the pillow beside her and curled herself up on the bed in the most suitable position that would enable her listen to the lamentations that would soon follow the aggressive ice cream licker.
"You know, I can't still believe he had the heart to leave me. It’s my fault of course; I’m always the fool who gives keep giving men as many chances to break my heart.", said Bukky as she dropped the plate of ice cream and furrowed her brows in concentration.
"Iye look at me now, I am beautiful and smart; I’m a natural for any musical instrument. I’m sound academically, even though I don't have the nerdy look. Is it wrong for me to want a guy that is not only interested in all the goodies I come with, but is also interested in wanting me as a person? Is it wrong for him to be a real gentleman and respect my standards and preferences? I don’t get it! Why is it that every guy I date can’t wait to fly into bed with me all in the name of love? Iye, this is the fourth serious relationship that is crashing; it’s beginning to look like I need deliverance or something. Maybe God will understand if I bend the rules a bit." Her face was twisted in agony as she expressed her bitterness.

Iye eyed her friend in pity as she thought about what she said. It’s just sooo unfortunate that good men are very scarce these days; men that would respect sexual purity in a relationship. “Why in the world would a man insist on making love to a lady who respects her chastity? Where are the days where virgins are respected and sought after like a priced jewel?”, she thought to herself. God forbid that she advice her friend to give in. There’s nothing cool about giving into sex simply because you’re pressured by a so-called boyfriend except for a truck load of regrets when the relationship eventually gets sour. Without saying a word to her friend, she turned and glanced with nostalgia at the beautiful picture on the wall. It was her six year old daughter Mimi smiling happily at the camera, looking beautiful and happy as always. Sadly, as happy as she looked in the picture, she had recently been taken away forcefully without her mother’s consent by her biological father and his people amidst all kinds of threats if Iye tried anything funny. Mimi, her precious little princess, was proof of what one foolish unplanned action and one wrong decision could result in...

"Iye I am not comfortable seeing you hang around that boy, he is not good for you. I didn't train you to be that way", her mum scolded in her usual manner. But of course Iye waved off such words like the humming of a nasty mosquito whispering in her ears, after all, she was not doing anything bad.
"Mum please, I am not a kid anymore. Dave is just a friend. Stop listening to those jobless neighbours around that don't have any other business other than gossiping about me and..."
"Shut up my friend”, her mother scolded even more, adding a slap on Iye’s cheek to further drive home the point which Iye narrowly dodged. “Instead of you to be praying that your admission comes through you are busy following boys all around the area abi? That useless boy who can barely feed himself, who doesn’t know what he wants in life…Just be careful o! You know how your father is, if you come home carrying another man's bastard, just forget about anything spelt SCHOOL; that is if you survive what he will do to you.
"God forbid! Haba mummy, Dave is just my friend. We don't do such things and in fact I would never give him room to try such. I am not a bad girl now. It’s just that he’s funny and very sweet. He says encourages me and helps me in many ways and..."
“If I hear one more word from you…”, her mother interjected grabbing one of Iye’s ear and winding it with all her might while Iye winced in pain as she struggled to free herself from her mother’s grip. "That is how it usually starts and the next thing follows is a big belly."
"Oooooh! Mummy naaaaa, is that why you want to remove my ears?”
"You see that stupid grin on your face, that adoration in your eyes when you were talking about him? That is how it begins and before you know it, you won't just be opening your teeth smiling, you will be opening your legs too and by then, it would be too late. I’m not itching to be a grandma yet." Her mother said with all the seriousness she could muster.
"Ahn! Ahn! Mummy, is that a curse or what? I reject it o. Andy wouldn't try such a thing; I trust him. Besides, he respects me and knows I’m not the type", she said in self defense.
"Oh, really! Well, since you have refused to be reasonable, let's do it this way. If you know I am your mother that carries you for nine months, and if you know you sucked this breast…”, she said beating her chest, “…I don't want you to see that boy again; not in my house or anywhere else. Is that clear? I won't stand here and watch you mess your life up. You are my only daughter for heaven's sake" she lamented.
"Mum that is not fair, it’s just not fair. Is it a crime to have a friend? Please mummy", she pleaded.
"Capital NO! I hate to see you sad but I have a bad feeling about this guy. There will be many more guys in future but not this one please and not now. Promise me you won't see him again..."

Iye grudgingly promised to do as her mum said, a promised she didn’t to intend to keep, which eventually led to a series of events which she didn’t want to remember. That line of thought would have to wait until a later date because Bukky needs her help now.

“Iye!!! You’re not saying anything. Or am I talking to myself?”
Gathering herself out of her walk down memory lane, Iye sighed deeply and looked into her friend’s pretty face. "Bukky, I know what bending the rules means and believe me sweety, it’s not a road you wanna walk through. You and I know the repercussions for bending the rules is even more painful in the long run than the pain of doing what everyone else feels has become old fashioned. The fact that Osas, or whatever his name is, said its over does not mean it is over with your life. You have to pick up the pieces of your broken heart and move on."

Bukky paced the length and breadth of the room like someone whose family member was in the labour room.
"That is exactly what I do not want to hear. Where has holding on to standards and principles taken me? I’ll tell you where; it has taken me through three break ups and if care is not taken, a fourth one is on the way. It’s not like it’s officially over, but it’s almost as good as things being over between Osas and I. You know I love him very much and I don't want to lose him. He is everything I desire in a man and he is even talking about marrying me. But recently, he gave me a condition and I guess you know what it is but my question is, will doing it be as bad as they always tell us? Don't you think there’s no harm in doing it, after all we love each other and will be getting married anyways? And..."
"Bukky”, Iye said placing a hand on Bukky’s shoulder to get her to stand still, “I understand how you feel but sweetheart, do you really think it’s okay to dump all you stand for just to keep a man? No matter what I say, you know the right thing to do and the choice is yours to make. I can’t make a decision for you, you have to think about it yourself." She picked her novel and continued reading.


To be continued…

P.S: Twist and Turns continues next Tuesday. Read, invite friends to read and share cuz it's only gonna get hotter. 

Read Older Episodes Here 

Episode 1

Pheobe Omiwole is a motivational speaker and a talented writer who uses her pen and voice to affect the world and the lives of men. She also has a personal blog where she writes really inspiring stuff. Check out her blog on  http://www.pheobeomiwole.WordPress.com





No comments:

Post a Comment